Cardinals manager Oliver Marmol speaks with the media ahead of Opening Day
- By Carter Chapley St. Louis Post-Dispatch
St. Louis Cardinals manager talks with media representatives on Wednesday, March 29, 2023, at Busch Stadium the day before the start of the MLB season. Video by Carter Chapley
As featured on
The St. Louis Cardinals open their 2023 MLB season at home on Thursday against the Toronto Blue Jays.
Once again, experts see the Cardinals are seen as a good, but not great team. They will fly under radar entering this season.
A small number of high school coaches, during the course of their careers, have a player ultimately reach the majors. An even smaller number have a player reach the majors who becomes an All-Star. Well, Gonzales had two players reach the majors. And both became All-Stars. And both were on the same high school team at the same time.
The Cardinals’ Arenado was a senior at the school in Lake Forest, Calif., while the Blue Jays’ Chapman was his teammate as a sophomore.
“Talking about them never gets old,” said Gonzales, who is in his 23rd year coaching at El Toro.
Post a comment as anonymous
Watch this discussion. Stop watching this discussion.
- Chicagoans pack Salt Shed to benefit Ukraine
- Award-winning actor Darren Criss wows Goodman Theatre Gala crowd
- A Celebration of Chicago Style: Runway fashion at its finest
- New installation at Navy Pier pays homage to Transformers films
- Chicago Chefs Cook presents ‘The Emilia-Romagna Dinner Series’
- Taylor Swift Themed Pop-Up “Tay Tay Partay” brings the ultimate Swiftie experience to Lincoln Park
- Chicago Botanic Garden receives largest gift in its history
- 'The Who's Tommy' coming to Goodman Theatre
- Sweets and Snacks Expo brings new snack food trends to Chicago
- Chicago ranks among most bike-friendly US cities
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.